All people need mental stimulation.
Chihuahuas are no different. We think, therefore we are.
Did you know Chihuahuas (and most dogs) have the mental capacity of a 2-3 year old child? Freaky, huh. That’s why it is very important to keep your Chihuahua thinking. Just like humans, if Chihuahuas are allowed to vegetate all day, every day, their minds will turn to mush. At the very least, their senior years may not be too pretty.
6 Tips on Stimulating Your Chihuahua’s Mind
- Exercise – Lots of Walkies with your human companion. It’s a bonding experience and healthy too. There’s a lot of sniffing to do.
- Crossword Puzzles – Or else toys like Kong* that challenge your Chi. I enjoy my Kong, but only when there’s a treat to eat. I still have a hard time writing without thumbs, so crosswords are out for now.
- Meeting and Greeting – A large social network of friends is helpful to keep your Chi entertained. This can be part of the walking routine. Or just take your Chi on play dates.
- Working for a Treat – Make your Chi work for their treat. Don’t just give him/her one. (I wouldn’t mind getting more treats). This could be as simple as asking your Chihuahua to sit first.
- Don’t leave your Chi home alone every day – Chihuahuas are portable. Take them wherever you go, even to work. Who doesn’t love a Chihuahua?!
- Get your Chihuahua a pet. Another dog makes a great companion for your Chi.
Give Your Chi a Mini Kong
Show you really care. I love my Kong and play with it daily. Especially when daddy puts a treat inside.
*The Small Classic Kong Toy is
- Perfect for typical chewers.
- Small: Up to 20 lbs.
- Perfect for stuffing with Kong treats.
- All natural, puncture resistant rubber.
- Super bouncy and chewer friendly.
- Cleans teeth, conditions gums.
- Recommended by Veterinarians, Trainers & Dog Professionals.
- Made in USA.
- Cleans teeth and gums
- Hollow center can be filled with food and treats
- Keep your dogs busy and out of trouble for long periods of time
- The world’s best dog toys!™