Spring is officially here. Can you believe it?! I’ve never seen snow but I have felt cold and wind and rain, even in Southern California. I still sleep under three blankies next to a floor heater. I like to be cozy.
But I digress. The subject is toxic plants. You should avoid eating them. I know I am guilty of eating lots of things I shouldn’t. I drive my daddy crazy as I constantly pick up things on my walks. Sometimes I just like to carry a leaf or a stick. But sometimes I smell a flower or catch a piece of a plant that’s blowing in the wind. Often I let go when daddy tries to retrieve my catch. But sometimes I don’t want to and choose to eat it instead.
So far I guess I’m lucky since I have not eating anything bad for me. Occasionally I do cough a bit, but that’s part of the experience of eating on the road.
Unfortunately some plants are toxic to dogs and for Chihuahuas a little bit of toxicity can go a long way to causing harm.
PetPlace.com has an interesting article called “Outdoor Spring Plants – Are They Toxic?“. You should check it out and be informed.
Here’s a list from the article of plants to avoid:
The springtime plants that can result in gastrointestinal upset in dogs and cats include:
Plants that are considered very toxic and can result in severe illness or even death include:
Lily of the Valley
Make sure your daddy or mommy carries a plant identification book when you take a walk, so that when you absolutely have to eat a plant, you’ll know if you have to visit the emergency room.
Or else learn the commands “leave it” and “drop it”. I’m still working on that. So far, I’m winning.