Is Your Chihuahua Halloween Ready?
As a proud Chihuahua, I do not like getting dressed up for Halloween. Unless I’m wearing my pink parka to keep me warm, I prefer to run around naked. Except, of course, for my built in fur coat. I never take it off because that would hurt.
Still, some Chihuahuas may enjoy wearing something special for Halloween.
Here’s my advice on surviving Halloween:
- If your Chi is fighting you on wearing a costume, don’t force them. (They’re probably embarrassed).
- Taking your Chi trick-or-treating is probably not a good idea. Most of us Chis hate crowds and strangers. We’re very cute and everyone wants to touch us. Scary.
- Avoid gaggles of children. Chihuahuas are small and break easily. Imagine a herd of kids screeching at you and waving wands and bags of candy. Yikes.
- Never feed your Chihuahua candy. It’s not good for them and can be toxic especially chocolate. Half eaten candy on the sidewalk is seen as a treat for you Chi. The trick for you would be taking your Chi to the emergency pet clinic for a stomach pumping. Ugh.
- When at home, provide a nice, quiet spot for your Chihuahua to hide in. It can be quite annoying when the doorbell rings or people knock constantly.
- When giving out candy to trick-or-treaters, make sure you don’t drop any. We Chihuahuas are quick on picking up dropped treasures. Once it hits the floor, it’s ours.
- Keep Halloween decorations away from your Chihuahua. We may enjoy eating them as much as candy.
- Make sure you don’t let your Chi escape into the night. Some of us might be scared and confused by all the ruckus.
- Don’t forget to give us a healthy dog treat when the Halloween ordeal is all over.
Check out these other interesting dog-friendly Halloween articles:
If your Chihuahua does enjoy dressing up for Halloween and being the center of attention, check out these specials from PetSmart: